I grabbed my issue of Group Magazine yesterday and read it cover to cover for the first time in a long time (thank you, electrical outage). Each issue has a Top 10 list – and this issue was Top 10 Things Youth Pastors Wish They Heard from Parents. It got me thinking… (smell the smoke)?
Parents hear a lot of stuff from youth workers….sometimes junk they wish they hadn’t heard! Here are ten things I bet parents wish they heard from youth pastors:
10. Your kid is awesome – you’re doing a great job with him!
9. Parenting is tough. I don’t know how you do it!
8. They grow out of more than their clothes. Don’t worry – this will pass.
7. What can I do for you?
6. Your kid said something great about you last night and I wanted you to know.
5. I know things have been tough. Here’s a scholarship for our next event.
4. I read this Bible verse and thought of you. (Just make sure it isn’t ‘Jesus wept’ or something equally ‘communicative’.)
3. We’d love to have your family over for dinner this week. How’s Tuesday look for you?
2. Thank you for allowing me the privilege of speaking into your family’s life.
1. Can I pray for you? (And then, actually pray for them….right then.)
I have heard a few of these things from our youth pastor. I have said a few of these things as the youth pastor. What would you add to the list?