Wait. What? What I mean is that I’ve started noticing some trends in the blogs I read…and those I skim….and those I skip.
What are the hooks?
1. Short – but substantive. If it’s more than three paragraphs, I usually don’t read deeply. Conversely, if it’s only three words, I don’t remember it.
2. Regular. Meaning…regualr, not constipated, but not diarrhea. Once or twice weekly keeps my attention. Less than that and I forget you exist. More than that and I think you talk too much.
3. Practical. Give me a take away. I like something that challenges my thinking or practice.
Some things don’t matter – at all.
1. Site design. I’m reading off Google Reader – I’m only going to your site if I want to make a comment or see what else you’ve written that I’ve missed. I don’t spend enough time on your site for the design to matter – at all.
2. Advertisements. I hardly ever look at them. It’s nice that they’re available, just in case I have a click-minded moment – but your sponsors don’t drive me to you.
3. Pedigree. If the content is solid, I don’t care if the writer is famous, known, or connected.
Just some observations I’ve made about what keeps me and what doesn’t. (And I’ll confess, I don’t always get all these right on my own blog!)
What matters to you?